Thursday, November 21, 2013

Olivia - One Month

I can't believe our little Olivia is one month old. On the one hand it seems like just yesterday we were meeting her for the first time, and on the other hand it feels like she's been in our lives forever. 


Weight: 9 pounds 6 ounces (65th percentile)
Height: 22 inches (95th percentile)

Sleep: Haha. That's funny. Sleep. You guys crack me up. I think at this point I have slept a total of 2.5 hours uninterrupted so far. Don't tell my mom. She's been trying to get me to sleep more. I've been trying to get Olivia to sleep more. No one is winning. Anyway - I have a lot to say on this subject, so stay tuned for its own post. 

As for Olivia - she goes down around 10 at night. Fusses some with Dan going in there - wakes up every 1-3 hours. Sometimes I feed her, sometimes I determine that my gluttonous child is not hungry, and just rock her back to sleep. She gets up for the day anywhere from 5-8 am. We have been good with the bedtime, the wake time has been much harder. She is in the best mood in the morning and I just can't resist all of her morning smiles and giggles. Best way to wake up. Makes you completely forget about being up all night.

She doesn't nap well. She comes by it honestly. She will nap anywhere from 0-5 hours a day. 5 being rare. Newborns are supposed to nap around 10 hours a day. "That's rare" is all the pediatrician had to say about it. I know she was thinking "sucks for y'all."

Eating: Olivia eats every 3 hours during the day - give or take 30 minutes. If she's hungry earlier, I feed her earlier. At night, I try to not feed her more than every 3 hours. I would like her to start going longer at night - and if she gets on a habit of snacking, she's up even more often. 

Best Moment of the Month: The day she was born. I don't think I stressed this enough in her birth story - it was the greatest day of my life. Whenever I am pregnant again (not soon .. Dan.) I know the biggest thing I will look forward to is labor. For those of you dreading it - know that it can be the best experience of your life. You get to meet your child. How can that not be amazing?

Parent of the Month Award: Besides all of these, this award goes to Kelley.

D: Oh no, did Olivia poop? Should I change her?

K: Nah, she's fine. I spilled salsa on her.

Milestones: She's starting to grab things, stare at us more, smile with her eyes open. She looks us in the eye. We have gotten a few laughs. She holds her head up a little better and swats at toys hanging from her play mat. Apparently they are born not realizing that their hands are attached to them. She would hit herself in the face and then look at us like we did it. Haha - so grabbing and swatting is coming a long way!

We transitioned her to her crib so she sleeps the entire night in there. We are also doing one nap a day in her crib.

Clothes / Diapers: In between newborn and 0-3 month clothes. The newborn ones with feet are getting too short, and the 0-3 outfits are still a little large. She is currently in-between newborn and size 1 diapers - which is leading to lots of leaks - very fun!

Favorites: She loves her soothie pacifiers and her wubbanubs (pacifiers attached to small stuffed animals). She sleeps in the Summer Infant Swaddle Me velcro baby straight jacket (okay not the name, but that's the concept) every night.  She loves music. Dan has a pandora station of orchestra versions of everyday songs - she gets so quiet and calm listening to it. She has a black and white book called "look look" that she loves to stare at. The pages say things like "children smile, fish swim" so its no Faulkner, but she loves it. 

Dan and I still love the Boppy, her bouncy seat, and the Aden and Anais blankets. I have carried her around a bit in the Moby wrap and I love it. When she gets bigger, we will use the Baby Bjorn that my cousin gave us. I know Dan will use that - he's not too keen on the wrap idea. But I love having my sleepy kangaroo baby close by. 

She's already growing up too fast. And almost half of my maternity leave is over. I just want to hold her and kiss those chubby cheeks all day. I want to soak it all in because pretty soon we will be doing the daycare craziness - and hardly seeing her except for weekends :(. 

Lastly, more pictures from the one month photo shoot. Such attitude!



2 comments:

  1. Those are BEAUTIFUL pictures! Please don't tell me they are cell phone pics! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are from my real camera! I do use it from time to time too!

      Delete