Wednesday, February 27, 2013

My new favorite breakfast

I have a new obsession for breakfast. I have always liked smoothies - especially as a way to eat raw spinach - but this one is by far my favorite.




I saw this recipe on Pinterest that looked delicious and healthy. Then I realized it was from Paula Deen. I just couldn't handle something that seemed healthy from Paula Deen - and knew there had to be a fried stick of butter hiding somewhere in her recipe. So I spruced it up a little bit. 

This recipe makes two large smoothies - two completely full solo cups. Keep that in mind and maybe half or quarter the recipe, as needed.




Pina Colada Spinach Protein Smoothie
1 cup chopped pineapple (I use the core too)
1 cup coconut milk
1-2 cups spinach (I do 2 .. but you might want to ease into it)
1 scoop whey protein powder (about 1/4 cup)
2 tsp honey
2 T coconut oil
10 ice cubes
2 T chia seeds (optional)



Blend everything until pureed. You have protein, fiber, omega-3s, healthy fats, fruits and vegetables. 



Then, for kicks, I top the smoothie with this:



Trader Joe's coconut. Dan doesn't like the texture. But for me, its like having whipped cream on top -- something just a little sweet.

Keep in mind if you bring this to work, your coworkers will be grossed out by a green drink. Use this to your advantage.

1 comment: