Monday, April 29, 2013

How I've Been Feeling

Since many people have been so sweet and keep asking how I have been feeling, I thought I would be honest here.

MISERABLE. 

Haha. I'm not exaggerating. I have been nauseous 24 / 7. People say 'morning sickness.' That's just mean. Using the word 'morning' means that it would go away at some point in the day. The only time I didn't feel sick was when I was sleeping. 

Almost every food made me want to throw up. If something sounded remotely like I could get it down, I would eat it. Once I ate something, I never wanted it again. Dan got a lot of leftovers!

One night I had croutons for dinner. Another night, canned pears. 

The best part was if I was slightly hungry, the nausea was a million times worse. So you know when you are sick and you just kind of don't eat or just eat crackers until it passes? Not an option. So I had to force myself to eat foods that sounded gross, just so it wouldn't get worse.

Every smell made me sick, even my own lotion. Dan was not allowed to microwave. We did not go to any restaurants. And don't get me started on walking past the microwave at work, or using the work bathroom. 

I started getting car sick. Luckily for me, I have to commute 70 miles a day for work. 

Also, I was tired. Now, I had heard this before. People who are pregnant saying they are tired, and honestly I never really got it. I can do tired. I did all nighters all through college. I can manage on hardly any sleep. This was so different. Driving to work in the morning, I would have to call Dan to keep me awake. Here I had been up for about 2 hours, and I already couldn't keep my eyes open. The second I got home from work, I could go to bed. I would get up on a weekend morning, workout, run an errand, come home to start cleaning and end up laying on the floor. Like I had the flu, my body would just shut down.

I never once complained (and still wont!) because I know that this is all worth it! I'll do it over and over again if it means a healthy baby! No matter how miserable it makes me!

I did try to be semi honest when replying to the 'how are you feeling' questions. Especially if we had to bail on something with friends. But I always ended with positivity - "I think I'm starting to feel better" I would say. It wasn't ever true.

Until now! I can honestly say, that at 15 weeks I am feeling much better. I can eat most all foods. I even ate all of the catered meals in Vegas with no problems. Smells are not bothering me nearly as much. I have gone an entire week not feeling nauseous (which makes me think this is real, and I'm not just jinxing it). And, in Vegas, I was staying up until 11pm. That's crazy!

Dan has been a saint. I can't even imagine a better husband at this time. When people were pregnant and complained about being tired or sick, I didn't have much sympathy. I had NO idea what they were going through! So for Dan to be so sympathetic, without ever knowing what it is like, is amazing. 

Since it is his busy season, he has been working from 8 am until 1 or 2 am, and putting in a solid 8-10 hours on both Saturdays and Sundays. Every morning he would get up with me an hour and a half earlier than he needed to, in order to pack my lunch because I hated thinking about / planning food. He would do the dishes around 1 am in a fog. He ate all the leftovers so I didn't have to. He talked to me on my way to work to keep me awake. He would let me order two meals for takeout, and then he would eat whichever one I didn't think I could stomach. He got 0 homemade meals for two months. He did most of the grocery shopping because the rotisserie chicken case gave me nightmares. He even went on a rampage to rid the kitchen of anything clove because I was convinced the smell would be the demise of me.

All of this without me ever once asking.  I actually apologized for being a bad wife by making him pack his own lunches! He reminded me that he is a grown man and can feed himself. I couldn't be more thankful for all of his help and support. And now that I am on the other side of the first trimester fun, that boy is owed some homemade dinners!

Now you have the honest answer. Remember that every pregnancy is different and many people feel perfectly fine during the first trimester, with no nausea. Also remember, that if that is the case, we (the sickies) really don't want to hear about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment