Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Thanksgiving 2012

Hello all. It has been awhile, hasn’t it? Work being busy, prepping to go out of town, and going out of town have gotten me behind. I thought for sure once on Thanksgiving break – I’d write a few blog posts, catch up, it would be awesome. Then somehow time started flying by in the way it does when you have a day off of work. And now we are back here.

I like for my posts to have pictures. If a memory doesn’t have a picture associated, I feel like I shouldn’t write about it. Well, I’m throwing that out today. I took no pictures over Thanksgiving.

Well .. one. I’ll show you that one tomorrow. Suspense is killing you, I know it.

Long, convoluted, travel-plan-story short: We went to Wisconsin. Dan drove Tuesday, I flew after work Tuesday, and we drove back together Sunday. Koda came too. Caught up? Good.

We got in late Tuesday. I met Dan’s soccer coach at the local coffee shop on Wednesday morning. (That’s how things happen in Neenah, Wisconsin. You order the usual. You run into people. It’s all very foreign). Wednesday was spent mostly preparing for Thanksgiving dinner. I tried to help my mother in law in the kitchen as much as possible. It left the boys to do some target practice with the BB Gun in the back yard. (Also, very foreign.)

For those of you who now think Neenah seems like a southern city, it is not. There was still a lot of cheese eating in Packers sweatshirts, while nodding “ooohhhh yah!” Don’t. You. Worry.

We went out to dinner with Dan’s grandfather and his new fiancee (who is lovely!) on Wednesday night. Had a ton of family over (my favorite) for a delicious Thanksgiving meal on Thursday. I will have to steal my mother in law’s recipe for chocolate cake – it was the best.

Friday and Saturday were a blur, mostly spent in a food coma. I do remember being force fed cheesecake. Against my will.

And now, at work, my chair slowly sinks throughout the day. I’d like to think it’s unrelated.

It was a wonderful time with family, and time off from work. I would do it over and over again if I could. I wish these people didn’t live so far away!

Speaking of far away, we had to start our 16 (turned 19, don’t ask) hour drive on Sunday.

All I wanted was candy. You know, some peach rings, swedish fish, or gummy bears? What’s a roadtrip without candy? Well someone decided that I did NOT need candy that day. 

The first time we stop, (around 7 am) the gas station has no good candy. I cut my losses and think that there is plenty of time to stop later. The second time we stop (around 1), my dad calls. The Falcon's game wasn't working on our phones, so he called to catch me up on the game. Well Dan starts to drive off! I say that I wanted candy, and he said that we 'would stop again.’ Ugh.

Third time (around 4), I am driving, we get Dan coffee, and I turn to stop for candy. Dan says ‘Do you really want to stop now, or just get it the next time?’ I AM GETTING CANDY. I AM DRIVING. DEAL WITH IT.

Wellllllll. That didn’t happen. You see, I pick out my candy, and start to head to the register when the gas station gets robbed! 

Not lying.

The guy behind the counter starts yelling at this guy, “you are stealing from me! Put everything back!”. The guy is yelling back, “you are crazy! Shut up!”

I didn’t want to be part of a gas station hostage situation over some tobacco products. So I slowly put my candy back, and Dan and I shuffled to the car.

Really? Candy? It just wasn’t meant to be.

Our road trip ended around 2am Monday morning with us blasting Nelly and Ludacris (rap, mom.) from the late 90s just to make it through the last hour. Needless to say, we were pretty tired for work on Monday. But I would do it again in a heartbeat!

I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving!

1 comment:

  1. OMG, you didn't divulge the alleged robbery! And BTW I know who Ludacris is...Nelly...OK no, you win.

    ReplyDelete