Sunday, May 19, 2013

Boy or Girl?

Well .. we don’t know yet.

But people keep asking whether we are hoping for a boy or a girl.

Honestly, we really don’t care. And we aren’t just saying that. I know many people who say “we want a health baby” but .. if you really get down to it, they have a preference one way or another. We absolutely don’t care. We really want a healthy baby. And it’s actually a good thing that it isn’t up to us! I really don’t know how we would decide.

On the one hand, I want a boy. Seeing how excited Dan gets when he sees little boy clothes. I would have another person in the house to help kill bugs. (Koda used to eat them, but now that we feed her, she’s pretty picky, and Dan has to kill the bugs). Boy names are so much easier! Our guest bathroom has blue and green tiles, and the loft is currently a Packers themed mancave. We love football in this house, and the idea of all of our children having an older brother makes me happy.

On the other hand, I want a girl. Baby girl clothes are much cuter. I babysat for mostly girls and definitely know how to entertain them. They tend to be calmer than boys in their younger years. All of our children would have an older sister, who would learn the art of diaper changing really quickly :). And my incredibly generous cousin has saved the baby clothes from her 3 year old daughter – most of which we would inherit.

This is going to sound really weird, so hopefully I explain it well. Unless they found boy and girl twins in there, I think part of me will be a little sad either way. Now, I know that will be fully overshadowed by how much more real this little baby will be to us after knowing the gender. And twins would scare the crap out me! But right now, I can picture both. One little son. One little daughter. And when we find out, one of those will go away. At least for a few years.

I do think that once we know we won’t be able to imagine it any other way.

But, again, it’s a good thing that I don’t get to do the picking!

Now the other question people keep asking me: what do you think it is?

A girl.

I’d be lying if I said that I didn’t have any inclination on what I think this little pumpkin is. For some reason, from absolutely day one, my gut tells me this is a little girl. I don’t know if it was seeing those two pink lines, and if I had taken a blue test it might be different! But from the very beginning, if I had to guess, I would guess girl.

Now, to throw in a curve ball. Whenever I have guessed what pregnant friends are having, I have been 100% wrong. Every. Time. I don’t even have statistics on my side with 50 / 50. I have never once been right. In fact, most recently as a friend was finding out what she was having, I told her, “I think it’s a boy. Which means, you can count on finding out that it is a girl.” She called me a few hours later to tell me about her baby girl!

So this has some of Dan’s family convinced that it is a boy! Haha.

My friend Sam and I went through some crazy wives tales – well, all of the ones that didn’t involve peeing on a household chemical – and came up with some interesting results. I’ll post those next!

1 comment:

  1. We just want a healthy baby too, but we sure have enjoyed our 'girl'!

    ReplyDelete